Lady Urchins advance to 2A North Championship
by Dennis Clayton
East Union duplicated their hit total in their round two playoff series against Riverside on Saturday as they pounded out 15 hits during each game. The Lady Urchins now advance to the 2A North Championship on Tuesday in a matchup with Baldwyn.
Game one of the series was marred by countless walks as the teams combined for a total of 22 free passes. Riverside collected more walks than hits. East Union took an early 3-1 lead in the first as Tianna Castillo doubled and drove in two runs and Callie Frazier added an RBI single.
Riverside came back in the fifth to go ahead 5-4 and added another run in the top of the sixth to lead 6-4. East Union came back in the bottom half of the inning to tie as Mallory Roberts tripled, driving in Kallie Roberts and Claudia Hill and the score was knotted 6-6.
Riverside went ahead in the top of the seventh as they pieced together two walks and four singles to manufacture three runs and led 9-6 going into the bottom of the seventh. The Lady Urchins sent nine batters to the plate and came back to tie to force extra innings. Key hits were Stephanie Hardy's RBI single and Rebecca Sheffield's two RBI double to notch the tie.
In the eighth, Riverside managed to get a walk, but could do no further damage. Sallie Pannell led off the East Union eighth with a walk. Savannah Alexander followed her with a two run walk-off homer to win the contest for the Lady Urchins 11-9.
East Union started strong and finished strong in game two as they won 13-2 to clinch the series. The Lady Urchins got on the board in the top of the second as Katie Hunt led off the inning with a single. Tianno Castillo followed and belted a two run homer to stake the Lady urchins to a 2-0 lead. East Union plated two more runs in the inning as Mallory Roberts singled and drove in Rebecca Sheffield and Kallie Roberts to up the lead to 4-0.
East Union scored two more in the top of the third as Castillo added another RBI and Sheffield’s sacrifice fly plated a run to raise the score to 6-0.
Riverside scored in the bottom of the fourth to make the score 6-1. East Union’s bats really came alive in the top of the fifth as they sent 12 batters to the plate and proceeded to pound riverside pitching for seven hits. An error and two singles loaded the bases for the Lady Urchins’ Sheffield and she did not disappoint as she launched a grand slam home over the right center fence.
Savannah Alexander later had an RBI single and Castillo, who lacked a triple to hit for the cycle in the game, doubled and drove in the team’s final two runs. East Union had the 13-2 victory in game two and clinched the series 2-0. East Union is now 24-7 on the year and this is their first trip to the North Championship in school history.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Thumbing to California July 23, 2014
- Improving the ER July 23, 2014
- Jets shut out Bollweevils July 25, 2014
- Union County Fair Pet Show winners July 25, 2014
- Arts Beats and Eats bringing food, art and fellowship back Friday July 30, 2014
- The single life is not for us July 30, 2014
- Arts, Beats & Eats July 30, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Museum seeks new Faulkner-inspired art for September exhibit July 30, 2014
- Nance retires from Department of Corrections July 30, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
"Luncheon with Books " Union County Heritage Museum Adam Coleman athletic banquet 2014 Basketball Bay Springs Bobcats Blue Springs Christmas Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league Desoto Xplorers East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Lisa Bogue Martin Luther King Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MLK MS Myrtle Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany Softball News Exchange Tournament Union County West Union Eagles West Union Lady Eagles
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey