Lady Urchins close home slate with win
East Union’s Lady Urchins closed their regular season home play with a big win, routing Falkner 14-4 in 5 innings.
The Urchins totaled 15 hits during the game, with four doubles and a triple home run from senior Katey Hunt inside the first inning.
Hunt’s homer placed the first three runs on the board for East Union, the hit following a double by senior center fielder Savannah Alexander.
Falkner loaded the bases in the second, though the first score came in the third on a double home run for a 5-2 score after RBI’s from Raelee Bell and Samantha Lineberry.
A double from Stephanie Hardy added two runs, w hile Kallie Roberts plated another for Hardy on her own double hit for a 8-2 score.
A fielders choice on loaded bases added a single run for Falkner, while Hunt and Tianna Castillo earned RBI’s to place the game at 12-3.
Falkner’s last score arrived in the fifth, a base hit plating a run after a pop-fly ball advanced the runner to third.
The Urchins added two more runs, Bell and Rebecca Sheffield with the RBI hits, for the 10-run lead to close the game in five innings.
With the win, East Union advances to 19-6 for the season after taking the division 2-2A title with an undefeated run.
“I’ve said all season that this might be the best group I’ve ever had,” Head Coach Josh Blythe said, “They are in record, but they’ve played a great season. This game was really just for fun, something to send our five seniors out with. And they played well tonight, I’m happy with how things went.”
The Urchins will draw hosting duties for the first round of playoffs, which begin on Tuesday, Oct. 15.
The best-of-three series will be against either Baldwyn or Mantatchie, depending on which team draws the number two seed out of Division 1-2A.
‘It’s a little tougher this year, but I like it. We usually have a team from the Delta or somewhere, but this year its closer to home and harder competition. But we get to play at home first, which is an advantage and we are just going to have some fun and see what happens. You have to take it a game at a time,” Blythe said.
Combined, Baldwyn and Mantatchie have lost five games in the 2013 season.
The Lady Mustangs ended a 21-game winning streak for the Lady Bearcats when the two teams met for a division game last week.
The two face off for the final division match-up today, with the winner taking the division title and the loser earning the runner-up position.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...