Bulldogs top Senatobia in division play
A fourth quarter surge pushed New Albany ahead of Senatobia’s Warriors, leading to a 27-2 win for the Bulldogs,
The first division 2-4A game of the 2013 season was marked by Senatobia drawing the first points from a safety during a would-be punt by Eathen Rainey.
“It was just a bad snap,” Head Coach Ron Price said. “The ball sailed over his head and they fell on it.”
Those points proved the only ones for the Warriors as Rainey kicked two field goals in the second quarter for a 6-2 lead at halftime.
A scoreless third quarter led to a 21-point rout in the fourth.
“I guess you could say it was in typical New Albany style” Price said of the performance.
“But the kids kept playing and it was a good performance. They were able to put the game away,” Price said.
The Bulldogs also gained an opportunity that they hadn’t seen much off during the game – running mutliple pass plays down field with quarterback Bryce Collins.
Collins completed 7 of 14 attempts for 100 yards, incuding one throw for 43-yards.
None of the passes led to touchdowns for the Bulldogs, but the passing game offers new chances.
“Its a credit to our offensive line who have stepped up for us. They are our most improved unit from week one to now,” Price said.
The game, and the past two weeks, have been confidence builders for the team, Price said.
“We keep telling our kids that now it comes down to them – that they have to make the plays. We feel we have the skill guys to get it done, but they just have to make the plays,” Price said.
The Bulldogs enter into their second division contest on Friday against Byhalia, marking the first home division game of the season.
A trip to Lafayette, New Albany’s division rival, follows next week.
“Its that time of year – we are looking, as coaches, to put our kids in positions to play confidently and effectively and then just seeing what happens,’ Price said, “We eliminate mistakes and play hard.”
New Albany 27, Senatobia 2
New Albany 0 6 0 21 — 27
Senatobia 2 0 0 0 — 2
SHS – Safety
NAHS – Eathen Rainey Field Goal
NAHS – Rainey Field Goal
NAHS – Bryce Collins 5-yard run (Rainey kick)
NAHS – Jarel Lipsey 3-yard interception return (Rainey kick)
NAHS – Tyrone Vance 5-yard run (Rainey kick)
Records: New Albany 4-3 (1-0), Senatobia 1-5 (0-1)
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...