Building on success
Twelve years ago Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to put together a program to demonstrate the life of early pioneers.
The result was Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children. This year’s event is coming up Oct. 17 through Oct. 19 at the museum on Cleveland Street.
Hundreds of school children are expected the first two days of the event.
On Saturday, the last day, the general public is invited from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Among the hands on activities and demonstrations for both adults and children will include basket making, churning butter, shelling corn, stick horse races, writing with a quill pen, hay baling, quilting, spinning and weaving, hay baling and fire starting.
In addition, David Leathers, a chef, food artist and stylist, will demonstrate pumpkin carving at 10 a.m. Saturday. Live bluegrass and hill country music will be performed.
Heritage Pioneer Days has become one of the area’s most popular family activities. Its growth parallels that of the museum.
We hope you will make a stop at the museum on Saturday, Oct. 19, part of your weekend planning.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...