Bulldogs rally with two big plays, win on OT kick
By Jay Tidwell
Special to the News Exchange
Larenz Jones provided the spark for a thrilling comeback by New Albany.
After Cedric Buford batted down a field goal attempt by North Pontotoc’s John Gonzales early in the fourth quarter, Jones grabbed the loose ball and sprinted 70 yards for the end zone.
It was the first of a pair of long-distance plays in the final period of regulation that helped the Bulldogs overcome a two-touchdown deficit and upend North Pontotoc 24-21 in overtime.
Bryce Collins connected with Jarel Lipsey for a 94-yard score with 2 minutes, 19 seconds remaining to tie it at 21-all. Eathen Rainey booted a 36-yarder to finish it in the extra period.
“The thing that makes me so proud is when we were down 21-7 and North Pontotoc was lining up to kick a field goal, somebody did not quit and made a play,” said New Albany coach Ron Price. “Somebody blocked a field goal. Larenz Jones got the momentum back on our side.”
North Pontotoc (3-3) held the momentum early. After Miciah Heard returned the opening kickoff 76 yards, Trey Jolly completed a 20-yard scoring toss to Marcus Green.
Green broke loose for a 73-yard run in the final minute of the half to put the Vikings ahead 14-7.
Jolly finished off a 70-yard drive midway through the third with a 20-yard scoring pass to Jeremy Wilkes.
North Pontotoc pressed to the 3-yard line of New Albany (3-3) to open the fourth, but the drive stalled. Buford and Jones teamed up on the field goal attempt to swing it back in New Albany’s favor.
“That boosted our momentum up and got everybody on their feet,” said Jones, a senior.
Chris Brown picked off a pass by Jolly to end North’s possession in OT. Rainey followed with the kick that capped a thrilling homecoming night.
“We dropped balls and cost ourselves offensively and in special teams,” said North Pontotoc coach Brian Sutton. “We made mental errors, and you can’t do that against a good football team.”
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...