Lady Dogs earn playoff berth
New Albany’s Lady Bulldogs put in a last inning rally, but errors took their toll as the team fell 10-1 against Houston.
With a 2-3 division record, NAHS advances to playoffs in the second spots in 2-4A with Houston taking the regular season title.
The Hilltoppers opened the game with a run off loaded bases, adding another in the second inning from a sacrifice fly into left field.
Houston shut down the Bulldogs offense, forcing six outs on seven batters in the first two innings.
Inside the third inning, the Hilltoppers broke the game open with five runs including a double and two unearned runs from errors at center field and second base.
Down 7-0, the Bulldogs again made a three and out appearance at the plate before holding Houston to five batters in the fourth inning.
The Hilltoppers added two additional runs in the fifth and sixth innings, bringing their total to 10, while New Albany scored in the sixth inning.
Pitcher Lauren Cavender’s double hit earned the RBI, bringing Quinlan Amos across home plate for the 10-1 final.
The Bulldogs will finish their regular season with two road games and senior night, with playoffs schedule to begin on October 15.
New Albany’s opponent for the first round will be determined at a later date.
East Union continues its perfect run in Division 2-2A with an 8-0 road win over Bruce. The Urchins will wrap up division play with a road double-header against Stayhorn today. A single win will give the Urchins the regular season division title, while two wins will earn a perfect 6-0 record.
West Union will also look to keep a perfect record on Thursday, closing out division 2-1A play with rival Ingomar.
The Lady Falcons will look to get back into the playoff conversation after dropping a game on Sept. 26 to Myrtle, 11-3.
The Hawks needed to win by five runs to take second place in 2-1A, though a win by the Falcons over the Lady Eagles will place Ingomar ahead of Myrtle for a playoff run.
Ingomar travels to West Union on Oct. 3.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...