Toyota’s announcement that it will begin exporting Corollas made in Union County to 18 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean next year is more good news on the local auto industry front.
The company, which currently employs about 2,000 people at its Blue Springs plant, said it expects to export more than 7,500 Corolla sedans next year. Last year the company exported 124,000 cars from the U.S. to 21 global markets.
Toyota’s U.S. manufacturing operations continue to grow as the cost of producing cars in the U.S. for some markets continues to compare favorably with production in Japan.
Rumors continue to circulate that Toyota will expand its operations at our local plant and will begin production of another vehicle besides the Corolla here.
Toyota’s presence in the area has been a very positive factor in our economy. The only real disappointment is the seemingly slow rate of Toyota suppliers deciding to locate a facility in our area. But we think that will come as operations here continue to expand.
Growth of population in Union County and specifically New Albany also has been slow so far. We think that also will come if we have a welcoming attitude to new families whether they are from a county away or from Japan, and a continued focus on good schools, quality housing and upgraded community amenities.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...