State Auditor’s office demands Golding repay over $398,000
State Auditor Stacey Pickering announced Thursday afternoon that special agents served a demand to former Union County coroner, Mark Golding, in the amount of $398,418.83.
The Auditor’s Office began an investigation on Golding on May 28 and determined that Golding submitted false claims, totaling $276,591.56 to the Union County Board of Supervisors requesting fees for deaths which he did not investigate.
In addition to submitting false claims, this information was reported to the Mississippi Public Employment Retirement System (PERS) thereby inflating his future benefits. Golding resigned as Coroner on June 6, 2013, and on Aug. 29, an order was issued in Union County Circuit Court freezing Golding’s retirement account.
“The civil demand issued by my office today represents the initial step to recover funds that were misappropriated,” said State Auditor Pickering. “During the 90 day freeze, we intend to work with PERS to reduce these inappropriate wages and return to Union County the employer funds paid into PERS by the taxpayers.”
“PERS is always pleased to work with the State Auditor’s Office to safeguard and maintain the integrity of the System and to insure the interests of the taxpayers of Mississippi are served,” said Pat Robertson, Director of PERS.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...