Urchins roll along past Middleton
The East Union Urchins season continued to roll along on Friday, with a come from behind 46-35 win over Middleton High School.
“I’m very happy with how the team played,” Head Coach Scott Duley said, “They executed very well, and played all four quarters. It wasn’t an easy win, but we had a lot of effort from guys who are first year starters if not first year football players.”
Running backs Jamie McCullough and Jacob Elder both ran for over 100 yards for the Urchins, while Blake Spurill fell just shy of those numbers with 94 yards after a 45 yard run was calling back for holding.
The Urchins entered half-time down 27-25 to the Tigers, and made a change heading into the second half.
“We just decided to run the ball, and they had a hard time stopping it. We had a first down every couple of plays,” Duley said.
East Union led for the duration of the second half, aided by two fourth down conversions that helped seal up the game, Duley said.
McCullough punched in a 41-yard run, advancing the Urchins to a first down when they sat on a fourth and 20 situation.
Quarterback D.J. Armstrong also came up big, tossing a 20-yard pass to receiver Ty Ballard on a separate fourth down.
“I’m very pleased with how the offense is looking. We’ve been in it for about four weeks and that is going extremely well. Our running back’s especially did a great job for us on Friday,” Duley said.
While the offense is producing big numbers, Duley and his staff still plan to work on the defensive side of the ball.
“That’s really about discipline, and working on knowing assignments for a sound defense. We have too many missed assignments, and a lot of missed tackles which are a priority to fix before this week’s game,” Duley said.
The Urchins will take on another road game, traveling to Potts Camp for a Sept. 6 contest.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse May 17, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- The Playhouse May 19, 2016
- River Players to present comedy-murder mystery next week May 19, 2016
- Myrtle Church to host Dave Ramsey financial series May 19, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- City wants residents to be aware of yard sale, sign regulations May 19, 2016
- Farmers’ Market opens June 4 May 19, 2016
- Downtown area getting new parking lot May 19, 2016
- More graduation ceremonies Friday night, Saturday May 19, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...