River Players to present ‘Driving Miss Daisy’
The Tallahatchie River Players will present “Driving Miss Daisy” August 15-17 at 7 p.m. each night.
“Driving Miss Daisy” by Alfred Uhry is a play set in the Deep South covering many years starting in 1948 through 1973. Daisy Werthan, played by Cathy Garrett, a rich sharp-tongued Jewish widow of 72, is informed by her son Boolie (played by Bill Hughes) that she can not drive any more and he is hiring a chauffeur. Miss Daisy fusses and refuses but Boolie hires Hoke (played by Collin Gates), a thoughtful, out-of-work black man. What starts out to be a grudging relationship blooms into a friendship neither expected.
Collin, Bill and Cathy are all veteran actors returning to the stage for TRP.
Collin will be adding his performance to that of Morgan Freeman, who was the first actor to play this role on stage in the original opening of the play in 1987. Freeman went on to reprise the role of Hoke in the award-winning film of the same name. Another strong actor, James Earl Jones, played the role of Hoke on stage years later.
Hughes, as Boolie, plays the loving, long-suffering son of a strong mother. Only in this situation, he has to be the strong one because even though his mother does not realize it, she is getting old and cannot do as she once did. He has taken charge of her care and well-being, so when she has the car wreck to end all car wrecks he has to put his foot down, so to speak. He and his wife live in the modern times of their city and in doing so, socialize with people his mother does not necessarily dislikes, but does not think is fitting to socialize.
Miss Daisy, portrayed by Garrett, is a fiery, proud woman who does not want to believe that she cannot take care of herself as she always has. The character has a hard time believing that after all these years of taking care of others, she now has to be taken care of.
Mark Garrett is the director.
Tickets are $10. They will be on sale August 5 at Main Street 534-3438. The box office will be open one hour prior to show time
About New Albany Gazette
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...