West Union and Myrtle met for a division softball contest for the second day in a row and the final result was the same with the Lady Eagles taking a 12-2 win that clinched first place. Tuesday’s game was exactly like Monday’s as far as the big inning to break open the game. West Union stuck for seven runs in the second and that sealed the contest as the Lady Hawks could not recover from the barrage of runs. Callie Baggett scored the first run of the game, just as she did on Monday, when Jodie McMillen grounded to second scoring Baggett and McMillen picked up the RBI. Following the score, Jesslyn Brewer and Brittany Taylor singled to put runners at first and second for Juilianna Garner. Garner hit a high chopper to short and by the time the shortstop made the grab, there was no play at any base. Gina Beth Conlee’s flyball was missed and three runs scored to push the Lady Eagle lead to 4-0. Batting star of the game, Bailey Bogue crunched a triple, scoring Conlee and the lead was now 5-0. Cleanup batter Hannah McQuary walked, then stole second and the Lady Eagles had runners in scoring position for shortstop Gracen Conlee. Conlee singled and drove in both runners and West Union had stretched theeir lead to 7-0. All runs scored with two outs in the inning. Myrtle came back in the bottom half of the second inning and scored two runs. With one out, Ashton Hogue singled and Amber Cook reached on an error. Callie Denton stepped to the plate with runners on second and third with two out. Denton hit a single and drove in both runners to cut the lead to 7-2 after two innings of play. West Union added three runs in the top of the third as Jesslyn Brewer singled and Julianna Garner reached a couple of batters later on a fielder’s choice. Garner stole second and again West Union had two runners in scoring position with Gina Beth Conlee coming to bat. Conlee hit a two RBI single and the Lady Eagles again led by seven runs. Bailey Bogue hit her second triple of the night, driving home Conlee and the Lady Eagles led 10-2 going into the bottom of the third. West Union scored their final runs in the top of the fourth inning. Gracen Conlee had a leadoff walk, followed by Callie Baggett’s triple, scoring Conlee. Jodie McMillen singled and drove in Baggett and the Lady eagles were up by the final margin of 12-2. Brittany Taylor had another great day on the mound as she struck out four, hit one batter, gave up two runs on four hits through five innings of work. Taylor also went 2-3 batting, with two singles and scoring one run. Bailey Bogue went 3-4 with a single and two triples with two RBI. Jesslyn Brewer and Taylor were the other multiple hitters. Callie Baggett had a triple also.
Lady Eagles Fly to Division Title
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Annual New Haven fish fry is next Wednesday May 15, 2015
- City schools hire new basketball coach, variety of administrative, teaching and other coaching positions filled May 20, 2015
- Gazette, governmental offices to close for Memorial Day May 20, 2015
- East Union wraps up spring football with scrimmages May 20, 2015
- Gazette, government offices will close Monday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...
Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league east union East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights Hickory Flat Basketball Hickory Flat High School Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs sports Union County Union County sports West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball