Severe weather season is here again. It’s the time when we start paying more attention to the weather forecast, and worrying about whether there are tornado watches or tornado warnings for our areas.
We have a couple of suggestions for you to help make sure that you are provided the latest weather information in case of emergency.
First, we suggest you sign up for the code RED system if you have not already done so. More than a year ago Union County adopted this plan that provides sort of a reverse 911 calling system. Instead of us calling 911 in case of emergency, the system calls us. The system is available to residents of Union County under an agreement between the Union County Board of Supervisors and the Three Rivers Planning and Development District.
The system will call land-line telephone numbers, cell phone numbers and send text messages and e-mails. There is no limit to the number of phone numbers that can be dialed. And you can limit the messages to tornados or expand it to include severe thunderstorms or other emergencies.
We think it’s a great system, and it’s free. You have to sign up online or have some one do it for you. The online address is trpdd.com/codered/. Then click on Union County.
A second suggestion, in case you want a double warning or you are wary of the automated calling system, is a weather radio. They are programmable and are not very expensive. They are trustworthy as long as you remember to keep fresh batteries in them.
Take precautions now. Being savvy about the weather is important.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...