New Albany High prospective chefs compete at state invitational
The New Albany High School Culinary Arts Team recently participated in the Mississippi Restaurant Association Education Foundation’s 2013 MS ProStart Invitational at the Old Capitol Inn in Jackson. Teams from throughout the state of Mississippi travel to Jackson to compete in this event which is comparable to the Top Chef program on television. The team competed in knife skills, and completing an appetizer, entree, and dessert in one hour on two open flame burners.
The menu for the competition included: Appetizer – Spicy Corn Chowder; Entree – Filet Mignon stuffed with blue cheese and spinach served with fresh haricot verts (French Green Bean) sauteed with fresh lemon juice and herb potatoes; Dessert – Strawberry Cream Cheese Crepes. Prepared products are not allowed in the competition so all of the food was made with fresh ingredients.
The students are also graded on safety, sanitation, flavor, plate presentation, communication with judges and team members, skills, food cost and menu price for each individual ingredient, and their uniforms/appearance.
The NAHS Culinary Team included: Kyle Medlin, Sam Westmoreland, Adrian Hill, and Jessye Staten. Instructor is Anita Alef. The students are awarded scholarships for the teams that place in the top three spots. The NAHS Culinary Arts Team placed third with each student receiving up to $3000.00 in scholarship money.
About New Albany Gazette
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...