East Union takes second at state
JACKSON — A few pins separated East Union from another state championship for the school, but the Urchins and Lady Urchins had a great showing in Jackson, both reaching the finals for Class I last Friday.
“It’s kind of bittersweet,” East Union coach Brad Browning said. “They made the finals, and that’s great. Had we closed the deal, we could be celebrating a little more.”
The Lady Urchins went from last place after the first of four games up to second and remained in that position, behind eventual state champion Itawamba. Going into the Baker Style finals, the Lady Indians rolled 2958 pins to the Lady Urchins’ 2902 pins.
One hundred and five pins separated East Union from East Webster after the four games, 3585-3480, but like on the girls’ side, the two teams battled through the best of five games in the finals, with East Webster edging the Urchins.
In the Baker Style finals, Itawamba took the first game by 13 pins on the girls’ side, but East Union took the next two games, leading 2-1 and in position to take the state title. Itawamba pulled away to win the final two games.
East Webster and East Union went back and forth throughout the finals, with the Urchins taking the second and fourth games. Browning noted the uniqueness of having both teams play for in the finals.
“It very easily could have gone the other way,” Browning said. “Just a pin here and there, and the outcome could have been different. I think once it’s all over with and they have time to reflect on it, they’ll realize that it’s pretty remarkable for a small school to have both teams in both state finals in the same year.”
West Union finished in the top five for both boys and girls, while New Albany boys finished fourth overall.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...