Area girls’ teams fall in first round
The three remaining girls teams in Union County saw its season come to an end on Monday, falling in the first round of the north half playoffs.
The outstanding career of New Albany’s Jazmine Spears came to an end after a heart breaking 61-60 loss at Greenwood.
Spears led the Lady Bulldogs with 29 points, 20 rebounds, and did so despite picking up her fourth personal foul late in the second quarter.
“They were a very experienced team with five senior starters; just an overall good team,” New Albany coach John Stroud said. “We built a big lead, but they put a full-court man to man press on us, and we couldn’t handle that pressure.”
Stroud emphasized the success of this season, as his team finished at 19-8, winning the regular season division title as well as the Union County Championship as well as the end of Spears’ career with the Lady Bulldogs.
“It was a good season, and as far as for Jazmine, we all knew her career had to end somewhere,” he said. “It was a typical Jazmine performance with her 20 rebounds and 29 points, but Greenwood had three girls her size that matched up well with her. She had to adjust to that.”
East Union traveled to S.V. Marshall as the fourth seed from Region 1-2A. The Lady Urchins found itself up by as many as 10 in the second half before falling, 60-58.
S.V. Marshall led early in the game, 15-11, after the first and again led at the half, 29-26. The Lady Urchins took the lead in the third, and held a three-point advantage, 41-38, at the end of the quarter.
East Union was ahead, 56-54, with less than a minute remaining, but S.V. Marshall out scored the Lady Urchins, 6-2, in the final minute for the win.
Rounding out Union County’s coverage was Ingomar, who fell, 66-44, at Coffeeville.
The Lady Falcons were within eight points after the first quarter, 19-11, but were out scored by Coffeeville, 23-8, in the second quarter, giving the distance needed for the Lady Pirates to advance to the next round.
Ingomar’s season ends with an 18-17 record.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...