Message of Martin Luther King memorial day is ‘Carry on’
The Union County courtroom filled Saturday afternoon as local residents gathered for a spirited celebration of the life of civil-rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
The theme this year was “We must go on” and keynote speaker Derric Morrison, pastor of Pontotoc Second Baptist Church, expanded on that using Hebrews 12:1-3.
He talked about the influence Dr. King had during his lifetime, adding “He has been a great blessing beyond his years.”
But Morrison then noted that King now has been gone more than 40 years and that the torch has been passed. “To each of us is given an appointed time and it’s your time now,” he said. “We must go on.” Morrison said we can’t appreciate the fullness of what we are doing, that it sometimes takes years, but our focus should not just be on making our own lives better, but better for coming generations.
He cited the phrase, “Pay it forward,” saying, “We can’t go back to the past great heroes, but we can help the next generation.”
Referring to comment made earlier by Bro. Shaun Vaughn, Morrison said “It’s not a question of do we have what we need, but rather will we use what we have.”
Dr. King not bothered by negative people, Morrison said, but by the silence of good people, saying or doing nothing.
“We must go on,” he reiterated.
The program Saturday included music by Sis. Gloria High and the Watson Grove Choir, performances by dance and step teams, the speech by Bro. Shaun Vaughn and a reading by Sis. Chawnteea’ Campbell.
Also on the program were Minister Carl Dozier, Minister Ronnie Rutherford, Pastor Henry Finley, Bro. Henry Knox and Pastor Colbert Graham.
J. Lynn West
About New Albany Gazette
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...