Grisham not likely to seek new term
After 34 years of public service, New Albany’s police chief said Wednesday he’s not likely to run for re-election.
David Grisham, who is currently serving his eighth term as the City of New Albany’s top law enforcement official, said that chances are good that he won’t seek a ninth term, but that he’s not 100 percent sure at this point.
“In the next week or so, I’ll make my final decision, but there’s a good chance I won’t [seek re-election],” Grisham said.
Grisham, a native of New Albany, has served as police chief since 1981.
After graduating from W.P. Daniel High School, he attended Northeast Mississippi Community College and later the University of Mississippi, where he received a degree in law enforcement in 1974.
During his senior year at Ole Miss, Grisham worked part-time for Union County Sheriff Joe Bryant and became employed full-time after graduation.
Grisham served as Chief Deputy for Sheriff Wayne Gaines from 1976 to 1981, when he was first elected as chief of police.
Grisham is married to the former Charlotte Davis of Corinth and together they have three daughters – Ginger, Katy Anna and Carly.
During his tenure as police chief, the department has doubled in size, including the addition of full-time narcotics officers, a tactical unit and, most recently, the addition of a full-time DUI enforcement officer, with the help of a grant.
Currently, two New Albany residents, both currently employed with the police department have qualified to run for the police chief position.
About Chris Elkins
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...