Grisham not likely to seek new term
After 34 years of public service, New Albany’s police chief said Wednesday he’s not likely to run for re-election.
David Grisham, who is currently serving his eighth term as the City of New Albany’s top law enforcement official, said that chances are good that he won’t seek a ninth term, but that he’s not 100 percent sure at this point.
“In the next week or so, I’ll make my final decision, but there’s a good chance I won’t [seek re-election],” Grisham said.
Grisham, a native of New Albany, has served as police chief since 1981.
After graduating from W.P. Daniel High School, he attended Northeast Mississippi Community College and later the University of Mississippi, where he received a degree in law enforcement in 1974.
During his senior year at Ole Miss, Grisham worked part-time for Union County Sheriff Joe Bryant and became employed full-time after graduation.
Grisham served as Chief Deputy for Sheriff Wayne Gaines from 1976 to 1981, when he was first elected as chief of police.
Grisham is married to the former Charlotte Davis of Corinth and together they have three daughters – Ginger, Katy Anna and Carly.
During his tenure as police chief, the department has doubled in size, including the addition of full-time narcotics officers, a tactical unit and, most recently, the addition of a full-time DUI enforcement officer, with the help of a grant.
Currently, two New Albany residents, both currently employed with the police department have qualified to run for the police chief position.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...