Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations
Sarah Conlee, an outpatient surgery department nurse at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, recently received the DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses, an award given in appreciation of the work nurses do.
Conlee was nominated by several former patients who praised Conlee for her comforting demeanor.
Nurses like Conlee are nominated by patients and their families for the DAISY Award, and from those nominations, nursing leadership at Baptist Union County selects nurses to receive the award.
At a presentation in front of the nurses, colleagues, patients and visitors, Conlee received a certificate and a sculpture. The sculpture, title “A Healer’s Touch,” is hand-carved by artists of the Shona Tribe in Africa.
“I am very proud that Sarah was recognized for her compassion and professionalism,” said Randy White, chief nursing officer at Baptist Union County.
The not-for-profit DAISY Foundation, based in Glen Ellen, Calif., was established by family members in memory of J. Patrick Barnes. Barnes died at age 33 in late 1999 from complications of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, an auto-immune disease.
The extraordinary care Barnes and his family received from nurses while he was ill led to the creation of the DAISY Award.
Nurses in each DAISY Award recipient’s unit receive Cinnabon cinnamon rolls because while Barnes was in the hospital, he once asked his family to bring enough cinnamon rolls for him and all the nurses in his unit.
Baptist Union County is a 153-bed hospital that offers a variety of health care services, including labor and delivery, outpatient and laser surgery and a 24-hour emergency room. In 2008, the hospital renovated its Women’s Center, which features 10 labor/delivery/recovery suites, two surgical suites for Caesarean sections, a level II nursery for sick babies and a 28-bed postpartum unit. Baptist Union County also offers one of Mississippi’s only partial open MRI machines accredited by the American College of Radiology.
For more information about Baptist Union County, please call 662-538-7631 or visit unioncounty.baptistonline.org.
About Lynn West
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...