Suspect shot by Union County deputy dies
By Errol Castens
NEMS Daily Journal
MYRTLE – A suspect in a domestic violence incident in western Union County died after being shot by a Union County deputy sheriff on Tuesday night.
Sheriff Jimmy Edwards declined to identify either the deceased or the deputy involved in the shooting until more investigation has been conducted.
“It was shortly before 8 o’clock that a 911 call came in,” Edwards said. The caller reported domestic violence, and a deputy was dispatched to 1218 County Road 51.
“It ended with the suspect being shot,” Edwards said.
Union County Coroner Mark Golding confirmed that the body of Clyde Bailey, 62, was being taken to Jackson for autopsy. He said Bailey died at Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto after his condition became critical en route to Regional Medical Center in Memphis, and the ambulance detoured to the Southaven facility. Bailey died at 12:14 a.m. Wednesday, Golding said.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is leading the investigation.
Edwards declined to note the suspect’s actions or other circumstances that might have led to the shooting, saying it would be inappropriate to comment while the investigation is ongoing. He did confirm that only the deputy, Bailey and two females were in the house at the time of the shooting.
About New Albany Gazette
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...