Oxford tops Bulldogs in tournament
The Bulldogs erased a second half deficit, but Oxford regained control, resulting in a 68-60 win on the second the day of the O-Town Showdown last Saturday.
The two teams battled back and forth in the opening frame, with New Albany holding the 16-14 edge after a late basket by William Harding.
The Chargers took a double-digit lead in the second, starting the quarter on a 9-0 run to lead 23-16. Eric Chaney scored five of New Albany’s eight points in the quarter, making it 25-21, but three straight Charger baskets extended the lead to 10, 31-21.
Robert Franklin opened the third quarter with a three, but the Bulldogs again found themselves down 10 preceding a 12-0 run that tied the game at 41 on a basket by Harrison Harding. Oxford quickly regained the lead and led 46-41 entering the final quarter.
Led by seven points by Cortez Jones in the quarter, Oxford hit out scored New Albany 22-19 in the fourth to hold on for the win. The Chargers were led by Jones with 15 points, followed by 10 points from K.T. McCollins.
“Coach Tyler does a good job with those guys, and they did a good job of dictating the tempo of the game,” New Albany coach Brad Gray said.
“We want to play at a faster tempo, and they slowed it down, took time off the clock and turned it into a half court game. I think that hurt us a bit; got us out of tempo. It caused us to force shots and kept us on our heels, so credit them for controlling the tempo.”
Chaney led New Albany with 15 points, followed by 14 points from Franklin.
Next for the Bulldogs (9-6, 10-0) is a Friday night contest with Hickory Flat. New Albany will be back in division play on Jan. 11, traveling to Rosa Fort.
Gray said of the upcoming schedule, “We have to get better and hopefully get the year started off right and move on into division play.”
Lady Bulldogs defeat Coffeeville in tournament action
Jazmine Spears led the Lady Bulldogs with 30 points in a 74-62 win over Coffeeville last Friday. Anna Frances Stroud also helped New Albany, recording her first double-double of 17 points, 14 rebounds.
The Lady Bulldogs improve to 8-4 (1-0) on the year with the win.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer