Invest for the future
By just about any measure, the economy is slowly getting better, both nationally and in the state.
Here at home there was good economic news last week as the 16-county region’s unemployment rates were released, and the overall rate – 8.6 percent — is the lowest in nearly four years.
Union County got even better news with a 7.3 percent rate, down from 8 percent in September. Only two counties in the region are doing better. Pontotoc has a 7.2 percent unemployment rate and Lafayette has 5.9 percent. Lee County was 8.3 percent.
With the unemployment rate headed down, we think it’s time for our state and local governments to think about strategic infrastructure investments.
Time has caught up with much of the nation’s infrastructure, whether it is roads and bridges, water and sewer lines, or public facilities.
There is no better time than now to prioritize needs and secure the necessary bonding to finance them. The cost of borrowing money by state and local governments is at an historic low, ranging between 1.5 percent and 3 percent, depending on the length of the bonds.
Paying for needed improvements at today’s prices before costs and interest rates rise is a sound economic policy that not only puts our infrastructure on a sound footing for the future, but also spurs the economy and creates more jobs.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...