Sixteen Bulldogs named to All-Division
New Albany ended the 2012 season with its fourth consecutive playoff appearance as well as finishing division play undefeated. For their efforts during the 8-5 campaign, 16 Bulldogs were named to the Region 2-4A All-Division team, as selected by the coaches last week.
“We’re very proud of these guys, and they’ve worked extremely hard to accomplish these goals,” New Albany coach Ron Price said. “For them to receive these postseason honors is an accomplishment for them and for our school and program. Hopefully they’re very proud of what they’ve done.”
Leading the way for the New Albany is senior Boston Newsome, who was named the Division 2-4A Player of the Year. Newsome rushed for 2,038 yards and 24 touchdowns, breaking the single season rushing record and becoming the school’s first 2,000 yard rusher.
“For Boston to have the season that he had; it’s unbelievable to have a guy that carried the ball over 300 times and to do that when we played 12 consecutive weeks against 4A opponents,” Price said. “For him to stay healthy and for his offensive line to accomplish what they did is an unbelievable thing for him. He deserves to be the player of the year for our district.”
Fellow senior Austin Howard was named the Defensive Player of the Year, finishing with a team high six sacks, 18 hurries and three fumble recoveries.
“When we met on Thursday, every coach that was there was very complimentary of the way Austin played, and all of them talked about how much of a headache he was to defend and block every night,” Price said. “I’ve told him all year that I’m thankful he plays for us, and he’s a very talented guy.”
“Both of them are very talented, and hopefully they’ll have the chance to move on and play at the next level.”
Price and his coaching staff were named the Coaching Staff of the Year, rounding out the top selections.
“To have the player of the year and the defensive player of the year and the coaching staff of the year are big accomplishments for our school,” Price said. “Our coaches worked very hard to get the best out of our players, and these guys went out every Friday night and played for 48 minutes.”
First team All-Division selections for the Bulldogs include seniors O.J. Hardin, Broderick Cook, Brady Barnes and Alex Harrison. Hardin finished the season with 400 rushing yards and 136 tackles on defense, while served on the offensive line, Barnes led the team in tackles with 143 and Harrison averaged 32 yards on 46 punt attempts.
Second team selections include seniors Spencer Day and Devonte Bradley along with junior Chris Brown and sophomore Jake McDonald. The Bulldogs had six honorable mentions: seniors Danortis McWilliams, J.T. Moore, Walter Smith and Chandler Nail, and sophomores Cedric Buford and Jimmy Baldon.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...