Storms cause damage, power outages around the county
Remnants of Hurricane Issaac finally made their way through Northeast Mississippi this weekend and made an impression in the Union County area Sunday evening.
The biggest mark the storms left was destruction of the large tree that covered the First United Methodist Church’s front lawn for several decades.
According to Bill Mattox, director of New Albany Light Gas & Water, a majority of customers who live on the east side of the Tallahatchie River within the city limits lost power around 9 p.m. due to the tree’s fall, as well as a tree that fell at the intersection of Poplar and Murrah Roads.
“This probably impacted over 2,000 customers,” Mattox said.
Mattox said his department also saw concentrated outages in and around Highway 30 West, Keownville, Blue Springs, Hickory Flat and Blue Mountain, as well as other isolated outages in the service territory.
In all, those outages impacted a few hundred customers, he said.
“We were able to bring in about 20 employees who began work shortly after 9:00 on Sunday evening and worked through the night,” Mattox said. “Most of the power was restored between midnight and daybreak, with the remaining problems being cleared around noon on Monday.”
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...