Storms cause damage, power outages around the county
Remnants of Hurricane Issaac finally made their way through Northeast Mississippi this weekend and made an impression in the Union County area Sunday evening.
The biggest mark the storms left was destruction of the large tree that covered the First United Methodist Church’s front lawn for several decades.
According to Bill Mattox, director of New Albany Light Gas & Water, a majority of customers who live on the east side of the Tallahatchie River within the city limits lost power around 9 p.m. due to the tree’s fall, as well as a tree that fell at the intersection of Poplar and Murrah Roads.
“This probably impacted over 2,000 customers,” Mattox said.
Mattox said his department also saw concentrated outages in and around Highway 30 West, Keownville, Blue Springs, Hickory Flat and Blue Mountain, as well as other isolated outages in the service territory.
In all, those outages impacted a few hundred customers, he said.
“We were able to bring in about 20 employees who began work shortly after 9:00 on Sunday evening and worked through the night,” Mattox said. “Most of the power was restored between midnight and daybreak, with the remaining problems being cleared around noon on Monday.”
About Chris Elkins
- UPDATE: Gazette moving to new location today April 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...