East Union ready for first home game
The Urchins are set to host their first home game of the season, taking on Mantachie on Friday.
The Mustangs enter at 1-2 while East Union is coming off of its big overtime win at Biggersville. Despite its record so far this year, Head Coach Scott Duley has told his team this is a quality Mustang squad they will face this week.
“Mantachie is very well coached. Their defense looks good, and offensively, they run a spread, and it’s one that we’ve never seen before,” Duley said. “They are looking to pass first and run second, and they run it well. If we allow them to run against us, they will and they can also throw it anywhere on the field.”
The Mustangs’ two loses come against Belmont and North Pontotoc, losing only by three to the Vikings to open the season.
“Even though they’re 1-2, they’ve lost to very strong 3A and 4A schools,” Duley said. “I told our kids this week that this is a well-coached team.”
A major part of the Urchins’ success so far this year is running back Broderick Montgomery. With 293 yards against Biggersville last week, the senior is among the top backs in the state with 563 yards and 10 touchdowns in two games.
“He’s done extremely well. He’s a hard runner, and we have a senior-heavy offensive line, which always helps,” Duley said. “Blake Spruill at fullback is probably one of the biggest reasons Broderick is running so well. Our offensive linemen are following their instructions and doing it well.”
“He’s a very talented and gifted athlete, and we have the three things we need to be successful on offense, a good running back, offensive line and fullback.”
Montgomery also has 18 tackles on defense, and Austin Hannah and Evan Bullock have performed well for that unit as well with Hannah’s 14 tackles against Hatley and Bullock’s nine tackles against Biggersville.
This week will be the first home game for the Urchins, and Duley is confident the team will see the same support the Union County squad saw last year in its home games at BNA Bank Park.
“The first home game is really exciting. We’ve played at the Sportsplex before, and they do a really good job getting the place prepared and the bleachers in place,” He said. “We’re going to have our first ever halftime show with the Union County band, which will be great, and our cheerleaders will be there, and I think everything will come together.”
Friday’s game is set for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff at BNA Bank Park.
About Chris Elkins
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...