Urchins claim thrilling overtime win
The Urchins had a dramatic finish to its second game of the season, coming away with a 52-50 overtime win at Biggersville on Friday. A game chock full of two-point conversions ended with quarterback D.J. Armstrong calling two plays that gave the Urchins its second victory.
“Our boys never quit and they played very well,” East Union head coach Scott Duley said. “We didn’t do anything different as coaches in the last four minutes of the game, and the kids took control of the game in the end of the fourth quarter. They weren’t going to be denied, and it just shows again that football is a game of emotion as well as skill.”
Neither team capitalized on turnovers in the first quarter, as East Union had an interception and Biggersville a fumble recovery, and the Lions opened the second quarter with a touchdown and a successful two-point conversion, the first of many, but was shortly answered with an East Union touchdown from Broderick Montgomery and two-point conversion to tie the game at eight.
Biggersville scored an unanswered six points to close the half leading 14-8, after an East Union touchdown was called back after a holding call.
Duley said he told his players at half time that if they came back out and played hard, they could win.
I don’t know how many of them believed me,” he said, “but they all believe me now.”
Montgomery scored his second touchdown early in the third quarter, but the Urchins were unable to come up with more points after an interception by Vadale Rucker. The Lions scored a touchdown and two-point conversion with a minute left in the third to lead 22-16.
Biggersville scored another eight points in the first few minutes of the fourth quarter with East Union answering with their own less than a minute later. Then just a minute after that, Biggersville scored after a 68 yard run, giving the Lions a 36-22 lead going into the final four minutes of the game.
Montgomery came up with another touchdown for the Urchins, but the two-point conversion was missed, and the Urchins trailed 36-28. Biggersville had a long run of 78 yards on the ensuing drive to extend its lead to 44-28.
Quarterback D.J. Armstrong ran in a touchdown with just over a minute left in the game. That plus another two-point conversion brought the score to 44-36 with Biggersville leading.
The Urchins recovered a fumble by the Lions with 30 seconds left on the game clock, and two pass interference penalties against the Lions brought East Union closer to the goal line. Armstrong’s pass was intercepted with no time left on the clock, but the play was called back due to a penalty against Biggersville, and the Urchins made the best of it, as Armstrong audibled two plays leading to a touchdown and two-point conversion to tie the game at 44 with no time left on the clock.
“He about gave me a heart attack there, but he did a great job,” Duley said of Armstrong.
The Urchins went first in overtime and came up with eight points. Biggersville answered with a touchdown, but was unable to complete its final two-point conversion, leading to the win for the Urchins.
East Union will face Mantachie next week in their first home game of the season.
–Story by Josh Presley
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...