For the second year, the Tallahatchie RiverFest will get under way with a Kickoff Community Luncheon.
The kickoff luncheon was begun a year ago to help push the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which has been a part of the festival since the beginning 20 years ago.
The event, which includes a hot buffet lunch, will be held at noon Friday, Sept. 21, in the meeting hall of the First United Methodist Church. Tickets are $10.
A highlight of the event this year is the speaker, well-known author and columnist Rheta Grimsley Johnson, whose column appears each Friday in the Gazette, as well as more than 50 other newspapers including the Journal in Tupelo.
Our community is fortunate to have a speaker of the stature of Johnson, who many believe is one of the South’s greatest living writers. After the lunch, Johnson has agreed to autograph her books.
During the event, awards will be presented to the winners of the annual William Faulkner Literary Competition. The competition includes categories for best short story by adults/college-age students, best one-act play, and best story by a high school student.
We had a good turnout for the first kickoff luncheon last year and we hope to have even more support this year. A successful event depends on businesses and organizations reserving tables of eight seats for $80. Tickets are available at the Union County Heritage Museum and the Union County Development Association.
We think this Friday kickoff lunch merits your support.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...