A jewel in the rough
New Albany has built a beautiful tennis complex that already is a showplace for tennis tournaments that will attract players not only from the region, but also from neighboring states.
The new courts and pavilion in BNA Bank Park North are a first class facility that can only impress our out-of-town guests. Unfortunately, the first impression for visitors to the facility is not the beautiful tennis courts.
Instead, it’s an unmarked, turnoff from Bankhead Street onto an unlit road in serious need of repaving that is lined with trees, some of which are dead.
Where the road runs out, an un-landscaped gravel parking lot is to the right. The parking lot also has no lights.
None of this, of course, is the long-term plan. The city plans to put a thin layer of asphalt on the parking lot soon and then wait several months to see if settling problems with the dirt have subsided before applying a thick permanent layer.
Wiring also has been installed for parking lot lights, but at the present time the wires just protrude from the dirt.
We understand the money issues with the project and that some promised private funding help has not come through. However, the impression of our facility and our city is being made every time someone drives down the entrance road.
The Board of Aldermen needs to install a quality “BNA Bank Park North” sign and repave, landscape and light the entrance road now. Parking lot lights should be done now; it’s a safety issue.
We won’t have a second chance to create a first impression with hundreds of tennis and soccer players and their families who will visit the complex in the coming year.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...