A jewel in the rough
New Albany has built a beautiful tennis complex that already is a showplace for tennis tournaments that will attract players not only from the region, but also from neighboring states.
The new courts and pavilion in BNA Bank Park North are a first class facility that can only impress our out-of-town guests. Unfortunately, the first impression for visitors to the facility is not the beautiful tennis courts.
Instead, it’s an unmarked, turnoff from Bankhead Street onto an unlit road in serious need of repaving that is lined with trees, some of which are dead.
Where the road runs out, an un-landscaped gravel parking lot is to the right. The parking lot also has no lights.
None of this, of course, is the long-term plan. The city plans to put a thin layer of asphalt on the parking lot soon and then wait several months to see if settling problems with the dirt have subsided before applying a thick permanent layer.
Wiring also has been installed for parking lot lights, but at the present time the wires just protrude from the dirt.
We understand the money issues with the project and that some promised private funding help has not come through. However, the impression of our facility and our city is being made every time someone drives down the entrance road.
The Board of Aldermen needs to install a quality “BNA Bank Park North” sign and repave, landscape and light the entrance road now. Parking lot lights should be done now; it’s a safety issue.
We won’t have a second chance to create a first impression with hundreds of tennis and soccer players and their families who will visit the complex in the coming year.
About Chris Elkins
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...