Northeast football announces 2012 schedule
Northeast Mississippi Community College’s head coach Ricky Smither has announced the team’s 2012 football schedule which is set to kickoff at Tiger Stadium on a Thursday, August 30 against Copiah-Lincoln Community College.
Northeast will once again face another hard road in its 2012 campaign after one of the toughest schedules in the Mississippi Association of Community & Junior College’s (MACJC) during the 2011 season.
However, the Tigers were able to handle the pressure of the schedule last season by posting a 6-4 overall record. Northeast was also ranked as high as twelfth in the National Junior College Athletic Association’s (NJCAA) polls last season and capitalized on an impressive 5-0 start while falling in the first round of the playoffs in overtime to Mississippi Gulf Coast 20-17.
“We had a tough schedule last year, but that is just part of this league,” explained Smither. “Everyone is good and you have to be ready every week and last year we were able to do some good things for our program and we hope to do the same in 2012.”
Northeast will kick off the first half of its season at 7 p.m. in Booneville verses the Wolves before going on the road to face Jones County Junior College on September 8. That game with the Bobcats will feature a rare start time with kickoff set for 7 p.m. on a Saturday evening in Ellisville.
Smither and crew will get back to Thursday night action the following week on September 13, at 6:30 p.m. against Holmes Community College in Goodman to open up divisional play and in week four the Tigers host Northwest Mississippi Community College at 7 p.m. on September 20.
The second half of the season, Northeast will take the trip back down to Perkinston to face Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College on September 27 at 7 p.m.
On October 4 the Tigers travel to Clarksdale where they will look to battle with the Tigers of Coahoma at 6:30 p.m. and on October 11 will host the MACJC state and NJCAA defending national champions the East Mississippi Lions at 7 p.m.
Northeast’s homecoming opponent will be crosstown rival Itawamba Community College with game time set for 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 20.
Last but not least the Tigers will be at Mississippi Delta on October 25, at 7 p.m. in Moorhead.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...