Macedonia News, July 13, 2012
Sonny Down's Sunday School class went to Cravin’ Catfish on June 23. Enjoying the food and fellowship were Jimmy and Kathryn Baker, Kay and Mickey Page, James and Thomas Ann Gray, Vera and Ellis Perkins, and Barbara and Virgil Floyd. Sonny and Diane Downs were unable to attend because of an illness in the family.
Tammy Wilkerson, Carley Wilkerson, Jodie McMillen, Leslie Willard, Jacob Cook, and Austin Haynie attended the FBLA National Conference in San Antonio, Texas June 27 through July 3. Jodie, who is a state officer for Mississippi, attended the Institute for Leaders June 28-29. Jacob, Leslie, Austin, and Jodie won first place in Parliamentary Procedure at the Mississippi State conference in April which allowed them to attended the nationals, competing there also.
While in San Antonio, they visited Sea World where they saw several amazing animal shows, fed dolphins, and rode lots of fun rides. They ate authentic Tex-Mex foods at the Mexican market and shopped for souvenirs on the Riverwalk. They also ate at the Hark Rock and the Rain Forest Café during their stay.
The flight back was at 6:10 a.m., which required a 4 a.m, departure from the hotel. Needless to say, parents encountered travel weary students at the airport. Mallory Newby, Savannah Bridges, Marley Long, and Savannah Shirley went to the Brevard Distance Running Camp in Brevard, NC which is 30 miles from Asheville. Dates of the camp were July 1-7. They ran 40-50 miles that week. Highlights of the camp were going down running trails in the mountains and going down Sliding Rock, a huge rock that had water flowing down it that you could slide down.
Instructors from all over the United States worked with the runners, giving valuable advice. They enjoyed a dance the last night of the camp. I hear they also learned some good card tricks during their stay so watch out, they may try one on you!
Jimmy, Angela, Jacob, and C.J. Shirley went to Charlotte, NC the week of the fourth. Angela furnished and decorated Jimmy’s new office. On the fourth of July they cooked out with old friends and the boys swam. They also watched fireworks. On Friday they went to Brevard, NC and Jacob and CJ enjoyed sliding down Sliding Rock.
Billy and Pam Ferguson treated Billy’s family to a barbeque on Saturday, July 7. They had 14 kids in the pool. Fourteen adults also were present. Everyone had a good time.
Vacation Bible School at Macedonia kicked off on Sunday, July 8 with a beginning enrolment of 230. A big “shout out” goes to all the workers who make Bible School a success. Regina Russell is our leader and always works so hard to make everything run smoothly. Angela Kirk helped with the stage and did an excellent job. Only eternity will reveal the fruits of the labors of the workers. Many seeds were planted. VBS has a special meaning in my life because it was there that I accepted Christ as my Savior.
Bible School is always a bonding time at our house. It is a tradition for our grandkids to spend that week with us. It began years ago when Hunter and Hannah were just a little tykes. This year we had Carolyn Wigington, 13, Maddie McQuary, 12, Anna Claire McQuary, 10, and Abbie McQuary, 6. Giggles could be heard all over the house. The girls enjoy this special time together, and it thrills me to have them attend Bible School together with us. Larry and I are truly blessed with such wonderful grandkids. Family night at Bible School will be Friday night at 6 p.m. on July 13. Fellowship will follow the closing ceremonies in the Family Life Center.
Thought for the week: Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...