Cotton States update: June 14
Tallahatchie picked up two wins over the weekend, improving to a league-best 4-0 after the opening week of the 2012 season.
Defeating the Thunder, 5-3, last Thursday, a trio of Rascals had two hits each in the win, with Jamie Smith driving in two of the runs.
The Thunder took the lead in the bottom of the fourth with Dylan Castoria giving the Thunder the lead off of his single.
Tallahatchie scored two in the final inning off of Smith’s two-run double, giving the Rascals the win.
The Rascals faced the Tribe on Sunday, defeating Tippah County, 6-1.
Trae Allison had three hits for Tallahatchie, who built a 4-0 lead before the Tribe scored its lone run in the fourth off of an error.
The Rascals had 10 hits and were backed up on the mound by a complete-game performance by Kyle Stephenson, who held the Tribe to four hits with six strikeouts.
Behind the Rascals in the standings are the North Delta Dealers, who are currently 2-1-1, finishing Sunday with a 1-1 tie versus the Golden Triangle Jets.
The Dealers also defeated the Thunder, 3-1, last Thursday, and the Tribe, 4-3, on Saturday. Former New Albany standout Corey Smith had two hits for the Dealers, and Drew Wray had a hit as well for North Delta in the win.
Next in the standings are the Tribe at 2-2, followed by the Jets at 1-2-1 and the Thunder at 0-4.
Smith is currently batting .250 with three hits, and just ahead of him in the rankings is former Ingomar standout Tanner McCollum, playing for the Thunder. McCollum is also batting .250 with three hits and two RBI in 12 at bats.
Pitching, Beau Cummings is currently posting a 2.70 ERA in 10 innings pitched and is third in strikeouts with 12, one behind Stephenson and Jeremy Massie for North Delta, who each have 13 strikeouts are first and second respectively in the standings.
This week’s games opened with the Dealers and Thunder playing on Tuesday. Thursday, the Tribe will face the Rascals, and the weekend games begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday with the Rascals versus the Jets, followed by the Rascals versus the Tribe and the Dealers versus the Thunder.
On Sunday, the Dealers will open the day versus the Jets, followed by the Thunder versus the Tribe.
For more information on the Cotton States Baseball League, visit its website, www.cottonstatesleague.com.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...