New Albany’s Smith signs with BMC baseball
Corey Smith, who led Northeast Mississippi Community College in batting the past two seasons, has signed a baseball scholarship with Blue Mountain College.
Smith, a designated hitter and third baseman from New Albany, hit .328 in his two years with the Tigers, including 20 doubles and 68 runs batted in. He had an on base percentage of .424 and scored 39 runs.
BMC coach Curt Fowler, who coached Smith at New Albany High School, said he was excited to be reunited with Smith.
“I’ve known Corey since he was a little, bitty thing and he’s a solid individual as well as a solid baseball player,” Fowler said. “He can flat-out play and he’ll bring some much-needed firepower to our offense.”
Blue Mountain baseball reached the championship game of the TranSouth Athletic Conference last season, falling to Union, 2-1, to end the Toppers’ season.
This is only the second season that Blue Mountain College has competed in baseball, adding the sport in 2011.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...