New Albany’s Smith signs with BMC baseball
Corey Smith, who led Northeast Mississippi Community College in batting the past two seasons, has signed a baseball scholarship with Blue Mountain College.
Smith, a designated hitter and third baseman from New Albany, hit .328 in his two years with the Tigers, including 20 doubles and 68 runs batted in. He had an on base percentage of .424 and scored 39 runs.
BMC coach Curt Fowler, who coached Smith at New Albany High School, said he was excited to be reunited with Smith.
“I’ve known Corey since he was a little, bitty thing and he’s a solid individual as well as a solid baseball player,” Fowler said. “He can flat-out play and he’ll bring some much-needed firepower to our offense.”
Blue Mountain baseball reached the championship game of the TranSouth Athletic Conference last season, falling to Union, 2-1, to end the Toppers’ season.
This is only the second season that Blue Mountain College has competed in baseball, adding the sport in 2011.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer