Lady Eagles take division lead in 2-1A
West Union placed itself in good position in Region 2-1A, defeating rivals Myrtle and Ingomar, giving the Lady Eagles the early edge in the race for the division title.
After defeating the Lady Hawks in a make-up game last Saturday, 12-7, West Union wasted no time putting away the Lady Falcons, 10-0, in five innings on Monday.
“I think Saturday, we just had a long layoff and it took us some time to get going against Myrtle,” West Union coach Lisa Bogue said.
“That was our first day to even pick up a ball since the Monday before due to rain and other things. That actually helped us for today, because we would have been off that much longer if we didn’t get that game in. That definitely helped us today.”
Hannah McQuary, Bailey Bogue, Julianna Garner and Ashley Hatton put the Lady Eagles on the board in the first with RBI hits, giving the Lady Eagles a 6-0 advantage.
Garner, who finished with two hits, brought in two more runs in the third off of her second single, and an error brought in the ninth run. Gracen Conlee drove in the final run in the fifth inning.
Brittany Taylor held the Lady Falcons to one hit in the game, a single by Kate Webb in the third inning, and finished with five strikeouts in the complete game win.
The win completes a tough stretch for the Lady Eagles, but it is one they will face once more next week, playing the same two teams back-to-back before the start of the playoffs.
“We were dreading it going into it because it’s two tough teams to play back-to-back without any rest or preparation going into it, and we’re definitely glad they’re over with now,” Bogue said.
Both teams are slated to play Blue Mountain later this week.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer