Falcons top Myrtle for division lead
The first wave of division games have passed, and Ingomar finds itself in a good position after defeating Myrtle, 7-2, on Saturday.
Having already defeated West Union last month, the Falcons sit atop the Division 2-1A standings and can take the division title with wins over both ball clubs again this week.
“The first round is gone, but it’s still going to be a dogfight,” Ingomar coach Andy Wilbanks said. “It always is with the three of us; you never know what will happen.”
Against the Hawks on Saturday, Austin Sanders threw a complete game, picking up the win on the mound. The junior allowed two runs, while striking out nine Myrtle batters.
“It wasn’t really pretty, but we scratched a few outs and took advantage of some mistakes, and we made some mistakes that they took advantage of,” Wilbanks said. “I thought the one area where we stood out was Austin Sanders. He had a good game, and had a great mental approach today to get it done for us.”
Ingomar scored its first run in the opening inning and maintained the 1-0 advantage until Myrtle scored on an error in the fourth inning. Tied at one in the fifth, the Falcons answered, loading the bases in each of the final three innings, walking in runs in the sixth and seventh. Matt Browning had two hits for the Falcons, including an RBI single in the seventh.
Ingomar and Myrtle will play again on Tuesday at Ingomar, and after Sanders’ performance, Wilbanks hopes to string together a good pitching performance for this week’s games.
“It’s going to be tough, so we’re looking to piece a few together,” he said. “Sanders is probably spent, but we’ll look to (Josh) Thompson, (Chance) Maxey and maybe (Tyler) Dowdy a little; we’re just going to do what we can.”
Myrtle had hits from Austin Floyd, Brandon Perkins, Anthony Lipsey and Brandon Jordan in the loss.
Ingomar will host West Union this Friday and will close out division play against H. W. Byers and Coldwater later this month.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...