Moving toward vote
The Mississippi House of Representatives has approved a bill that would allow cities, including New Albany, to make their own decisions on the sale of wine and spirits within city limits.
The House Wednesday passed the legislation on a 65-54 vote. The issue now goes to the Senate for consideration.
The bill allows cities with 5,000 or more population to conduct an election on the issue if petitions are submitted containing signatures of 20 percent of registered voters.
The city of New Albany, as well as Corinth, had asked the legislature to permit such an election. Current law requires that the election be conducted countywide even though sales would be permitted only within the city.
New Albany voters twice in the past three years have approved the sale of wine and spirits, but have had their wishes thwarted by county voters who have voted down the proposal.
We support the city’s view that city voters should make this decision, not people who live outside the city who do not pay city taxes or for the upkeep of city services. We were disappointed that our state representative, Margaret Ellis Rogers, failed to support the city’s request.
National restaurant chains such as Applebee’s, Chili’s, Ruby Tuesday, Longhorn Steakhouse and others generally do not locate in cities that do not allow a glass of wine or a cocktail to be served with dinner. We need to expand our hospitality industry, which provides significant tax revenue to help keep our other taxes in New Albany low. This is an important business decision for the future of our city.
We hope our state senator, Nickey Browning, will show a more progressive attitude than Rogers when the legislation is taken up in the Senate.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...