Lady Eagles hold on, handing East Union first loss
The youth of West Union pitcher, Brittany Taylor, was far from noticeable on Monday night. The sophomore allowed two runs, but struck out nine in the Lady Eagles’ 3-2 win over East Union.
Taylor takes the place of her older sister, Danielle, who now pitches at Itawamba Community College after helping lead the Lady Eagles to the 1A state title series last May. Coach Lisa Bogue has no doubt her sophomore thrower is capable of carrying the load.
“Physically, she’s been there 100 percent. She knows what to do, what to throw and she can hit the spots, but this was a challenge being a young pitcher as far as being in that tough of a spot, facing the top of their order and only being one run ahead,” Bogue said.
“It took a lot out of her, but she had faith in her defense and threw the strikes when we needed it.”
West Union capitalized off of a leadoff triple by Hannah McQuary in the second inning, taking a 1-0 lead after McQuary scored on a single by Bailey Bogue.
The Lady Eagles added to that in the third, scoring one run off of four hits, but could not do any more in the frame, leaving bases loaded. Base running and stranding runners plagued West, as they also left bases loaded in the sixth.
“We left so many on base, but they finally got their timing down and started hitting the ball,” Bogue said. “Costly base running errors could have easily cost us the game, but we’ll work on it and get better.”
East Union scored its first run in the third off of a wild pitch with Heather Dillard at third. Rachel Elder added to that in the fifth, hitting a two out double, plating Mallory Roberts.
Taylor shut down the Lady Urchins, allowing one hit in the final two innings to take the win.
West Union improved to 4-1 with the win, while East Union suffered its first loss of the season, falling to 4-1.
East Union hosted Pine Grove on Tuesday, while West Union will play Vardaman at the South Pontotoc Tournament this Saturday.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...