History made for Lady ‘Dawgs
History was made for the Lady Bulldogs, and Saturday features several firsts for the young squad.
Never has the girls’ soccer team made it to the second round of the playoffs, but that will change after New Albany defeated Lewisburg, 2-0, in Tuesday’s first round.
“This is very big for our program,” coach Les Huntington said.
“Our defense played phenomenally throughout the entire game, but particularly in the first half. They (Lewisburg) had several opportunities to score on us, but we prevented all of that, and Summer Sanderson had a great game in the goal.”
Martha Vance Alef broke the scoreless tie in the second half, and with three minutes remaining, Hannah Anderson sealed the win with her goal, assisted by Randi Stevens. Huntington credited all of his seniors and said his team is very much looking forward to being at home for the next round.
“This is a first for us (hosting a playoff game), so we’re excited, and this is great, especially for our seniors.”
New Albany will face Germantown, which defeated Pontotoc, 1-0, on Tuesday. The Lady Mavericks are 6-6 on the season and come from Region 4-4A, located in Madison.
“We’re going to have light practices for the rest of the week, and at this point, we’re not introducing anything new,” Huntington explained of his team’s preparation. “We just want to own the skills we already know, and we’ve come together, yesterday more than I’ve ever seen before.”
Lewisburg 3 New Albany 2 (boys)
The Bulldogs’ season came to an end on Tuesday, falling 3-2 in overtime at Lewisburg.
The teams were deadlocked in a scoreless tie entering the second half, which was later broken by Anthony Fernandez and Eduardo Fernandez’s goals for NA.
Lewisburg tied the contest with 16 minutes remaining in regulation, and in overtime, the Patriots scored in the 19th minute to advance to the second round.
New Albany ends the season at 8-5.
There will be more on the Lady Bulldogs in “View from the Cheap Seats” in Friday's Gazette.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...