Bulldogs grow during holiday tournament
New Albany’s record evened out at 4-4 after the Bulldogs’ tournament appearance in Arkansas last weekend.
“The field was stacked with teams like Riverside, along with other top 20 programs in the country,” coach Brady Gray said. “We played three teams that have great players, several of which are division one talent and commitments, so the competition for us, overall, was excellent.”
Opening the Rumble on the Ridge tournament against Archie Goodwin, one of the nation’s top 10 recruits, and his Sylvan Hills squad, the ‘Dawgs were outscored 29-9 in the second quarter of its 75-51 loss. Daniel Drummond led New Albany with 16 points, followed by 11 points from Moses Kingsley.
Eric Chaney had a double-double, scoring 21 points and grabbing 10 rebounds in a 59-52 second round loss to Forrest Hill on Friday, and New Albany closed the tournament with a 67-39 loss to Little Rock Hall in the seventh place game on Saturday. Kingsley led the ‘Dawgs with 15 points. With contribution coming from different players each night, Gray was pleased with his team’s performance in the tournament.
“I was fairly pleased given the talent we faced, and we had good effort each night,” he said. “We got off to a slow start in the first game, and calmed down and we stayed with them, but we just got behind too early. I’m proud of how they battled back.:
“We worked fairly hard overall, but it was tough on our guys to play three games in back to back to back nights. That’s something they’re not accustomed to. We had different people in different games picking each other up, and if someone was slacking, we had another person there to pick them up.”
After playing Ingomar on Tuesday, New Albany will travel to Booneville on Friday and take on Briarcrest next week. Gray hopes for a good finish to the semester for his team.
“We’re looking finish strong and on a good note like we do each season,” he said. “With the way our schedule plays out the rest of the semester, it will be a challenge and not getting any easier for us.”
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...