Northeast qualifies for MACJC playoffs
Northeast Mississippi Community College’s football team is headed to the Mississippi Association of Community/Junior Colleges (MACJC) state playoffs for the first time since 2005.
Northeast (6-3, 4-2 in North Division) finished the regular season tied for the division runner-up spot with Northwest Mississippi Community College and Itawamba Community College but won out on tiebreakers and made it into the playoffs for the first time in six years.
In 2005, Northeast faced off against Pearl River after winning the North Division championship. Now the Tigers will wait until Saturday to see whom they face.
Mississippi Gulf Coast (7-1, 5-0 in the South Division) will host Hinds (7-1, 5-0) in a pivotal division match-up in Perkinston on Saturday, October 29 at 3 p.m.
The winner of the Mississippi Gulf Coast-Hinds clash will host Northeast while the loser will travel to North Division champion East Mississippi as the South’s runner-up.
First round games for the MACJC state playoffs are set for Saturday, November 5 while the MACJC State Championship game will be played on Saturday, November 12.
Northeast’s division runner-up finish marks the sixth time that the Tigers have finished as runner-up in the North Division and marks just the ninth time the Tigers have been able to reach the postseason since reviving the football program in 1968.
Northeast finished as the runner-up in the North Division during the 2010 season against Itawamba and East Mississippi but missed out on the playoffs due to the same tiebreakers that put the Tigers in the playoffs this year.
Northeast captured four North Division crowns in 1980, 2002, 2004 and 2005 and has recorded runner-up finishes in 1977, 1979, 1983, 1987 and 2010.
Northeast has met either Hinds or Mississippi Gulf Coast three times prior in the playoffs. In 2004, Hinds knocked off Northeast 30-6 during the first round while in 1987, the Eagles took back-to-back victories against the Tigers. During the regular season finale, Hinds captured a 34-0 decision and then knocked off the Tigers 42-14.
Northeast’s only encounter against Mississippi Gulf Coast in the playoffs came in 1983 when the Bulldogs were able to dispatch the Tigers in the first round.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...