East Union secures playoff spot
Ashley Leach has come up with big hits for the Lady Urchins throughout the season, and added a three hit performance on Tuesday, helping East Union defeat Hickory Flat in five innings, 11-1.
The senior hit a double and triple to lead the team, and she also had a big home run in East Union’s game last week against Saltillo.
“She has hit the ball like I’ve never seen a kid hit the ball, and I love it and am glad she’s playing for me,” East Union coach Josh Blythe said. “Just natural talent, that’s all I can say.”
Hickory Flat scored their lone run in the first, and the Lady Urchins answered, taking a 2-1 lead in the bottom half of the inning.
A three-run triple by Tianna Castillo highlighted a seven-run third inning for East Union, and the Lady Urchins scored a run in both the fourth and fifth innings, ending the game in the fifth.
Leach led East Union (12-9, 3-2) with three hits and Callie Frazier had two hits.
The win helped the Lady Urchins stay in second place in its division, and after an 11-10 Walnut win over Strayhorn, East Union has secured second place, earning a playoff spot.
“This helps us. We’re in second right now, and it’s ours to lose, so I feel pretty good about that,” Blythe said. “No one can help us out; we’ve got to do our thing”
“The girls are really starting to hit the ball a lot better, and we have these first five kids really drilling the ball right now. We’re excited about that, and hopefully we can come out here swinging Thursday night.”
East Union hosted division leading Walnut on Thursday and will play in the Nettleton Tournament this weekend. The Lady Urchins will close the regular season with two games on the road next week.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...