City paid health care
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has voted to provide health care benefits for the city prosecuting attorney and city judge.
We think it is a case of bad personnel-management practice. The vote was 4 to 1 to add money for the benefits to the city budget for the coming fiscal year. Scott Dunnam, alderman-at-large, dissented.
Dunnam said he voted against the proposal because he considers them part-time positions and the city’s employee handbook stipulates that part-time jobs do not carry medical benefits.
Mayor Tim Kent said the other members of the board do not believe the jobs are part-time because they receive a small annual salary and are not paid by the hour. The city attorney already receives medical benefits, he said.
The decision to provide the prosecuting attorney and city judge health benefits at taxpayer expense came after the board voted earlier last month to hire former city attorney Bobby Carter as the city prosecutor. Steve Livingston currently serves as the city judge.
We don’t think any of the three jobs should include taxpayer-funded benefits. Attorneys serving in these positions are expected to have their own practices.
And it is uncommon for part-time employees in the private sector to be provided company-paid health care.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer