County softball players take part in all-star event
Five Union County standouts played the final games of their high school careers on Thursday, participating in the fifth annual Northeast Mississippi Softball Coaches Association All-Star games at Veterans Park in Tupelo.
Danielle Taylor pitched three innings for the West squad, allowing seven hits in the East’s 12-5 win in the fast pitch game.
Hayley Parker of Nettleton registered two hits in as many innings for the East, plating two in the second to give the East squad a 4-0 lead. The West was limited to only one hit until the fifth inning when Brianna Gable of North Pontotoc and Taylor brought in the first runs for the West. They would later add to that in the sixth with Cammie Tedford scoring East Union’s Chelsea Kuhn and North Pontotoc's Courtney Quillian and Kossuth’s Chassey Barnes hitting an RBI triple and double respectively.
Smithville’s Kami Roberts and Alcorn Central’s Whitney Hardwick each had two hits in the final two frames, scoring five of the East’s final eight runs, leading to the win.
Taylor finished the game with one hit and an RBI, while Kuhn was walked two of her four at bats.
In the slow pitch game, it was the West that had the big night, recording 18 hits in their 15-3 win over the East.
Jessie Patterson of Nettleton brought in the game’s first run, scoring DeAra Gardner of Biggersville after her lead off triple to open the game. That would be the East’s only run until the final inning, and the West piled on nine runs in the first two innings, five of those coming in off errors.
New Albany’s Brooke Sides and West Union’s Leah Paige Goolsby each brought in runs in the fifth, and East Union’s Callie Jo Winters scored a run in the sixth off her sacrifice. Pontotoc’s Brooklyn Alexander limited the East to only three runs off 10 hits in her complete game effort, earning her Defensive Most Valuable Player honors for the West.
Sides, Goolsby and Winters each finished the game with one hit a piece.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...