Man charged with exploitation
A New Albany man accused of trying to meet a young teenage girl for sex was set to be arraigned in the Union County Circuit Court Tuesday morning.
According to Union County Sheriff’s Department Chief Deputy, Jerry Williams, 55, of 121 Fairview Apartments in New Albany, was charged with exploitation of a child.
“He’s going before the judge in the morning,” Edwards said Monday afternoon.
Edwards said Williams was arrested Thursday morning, May 18, at the Poolville Quick Stop after allegedly making arrangements to meet a 13 year-old-girl.
What Williams didn’t know, Edwards said, that the meeting was actually a sting operation set up by the sheriff’s department, in conjunction with the New Albany Police Department and investigators with the District Attorney’s office.
The operation began last week after Williams had first made contact with the young girl when he had responded to an advertisement in the newspaper.
“He was calling about a house trailer that was for rent,” Edwards said. “The first call he made was on Sunday, May 15.”
Edwards said that the girl answered and at first Williams asked questions about the trailer. But the conversation’s nature allegedly changed quickly, he said.
“[Williams] started asking if the girl was single and telling her that he was lonely and wanted some company,” Edwards said. “He was asking her about meeting with him.”
Edwards said that Williams called back several times a day over the next few days to speak to the girl. When the family learned what was happening, they contacted the New Albany Police Department, who then contacted the sheriff’s department.
Williams’ bond was set at $150,000. If convicted, he could face up to 40 years in prison.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...