Focus on bullying
Bullying has been an issue in both schools and general society for as long as there has been a society. Through the years it has taken many forms, but it has become more of a defined problem in recent years.
What at one time was attributed to “Boys will be boys” or “Girls will be girls” has come to the fore as an issue with incidents of school violence and well-publicized suicides.
That’s why we applaud the effort by the New Albany and Union County school districts to put more emphasis on identifying the symptoms and dealing with the problems before they get out of hand.
Both school districts are planning to implement a bully-free program in the coming school year to supply teachers, other faculty members and administrators with curriculum, guidelines to go by and ways to handle different kinds of bullying issues.
We agree with Dr. Charles Garrett, New Albany schools superintendent, that there is more bullying going on than administrators, teachers and students realize.
We think it is a step in the right direction that both Garrett and Ken Basil, Union County schools superintendent, participated in a program with school personnel to help recognize signs of a problem and possible solutions.
Children need to be taught from the earliest age that teasing or mistreating other children will not be tolerated. Allowing it to go on only leads to more significant problems.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer