NEMCC softball closes in on playoffs
Northeast Mississippi Community College softball team continued its push for the Mississippi Association of Community/Junior Colleges (MACJC) state playoffs with a sweep of Holmes over the weekend.
Northeast (15-13, 5-4 in North Division) moved into the fourth spot in the division standings with a 6-3, 5-4 sweep of Holmes in Goodman on Saturday, March 26.
With the two wins, Northeast leapfrogged Mississippi Delta for fourth place in the division standings.
Northeast sits just three games out of the division lead with 15 league games left toplay and 1.5 games out of the division runner-up position that is currentlyheld by Itawamba Community College with a 6-2 league mark.
In both games, the Lady Tigers used some late-inning heroics in claiming the victories.
In the opener, Northeast rebounded from a 3-1 deficit with five runs over its final two at bats and in the nightcap, the Lady Tigers used a five-run fifth in staking claim to a 5-4 victory.
Kelle West (Hamilton), who has come on strong during the middle portion of the season,stayed perfect on the year picking up both wins.
West (6-0) limited the Lady Bulldogs to just five hits in the opener as the Lady Tigers banged out eight including two apiece from Haley Knepp (Kossuth) and Katie Beth Dahlem(Hamilton) while Jazmin Smith (Anchorage, Alaska) collected a double in the win for Northeast.
In the nightcap, Nicki Whitten (Booneville) and Paige Smith (Houston) keyed an 11-hit performance for the Lady Tigers with a pair of hits while Raleigh Downs (Booneville) knocked around a triple in the contest.
Northeast looks to continue its push toward the MACJC playoffs as the Lady Tigers begin a three-date homestand on Wednesday, March 30 by hosting Coahoma Community College at 1 p.m. Northeast continues its homestand with a one-game make-upwith East Mississippi Community College on Thursday, March 31 before welcoming Mississippi Delta Community College to Booneville on Saturday, April 2.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...