NEMCC softball closes in on playoffs
Northeast Mississippi Community College softball team continued its push for the Mississippi Association of Community/Junior Colleges (MACJC) state playoffs with a sweep of Holmes over the weekend.
Northeast (15-13, 5-4 in North Division) moved into the fourth spot in the division standings with a 6-3, 5-4 sweep of Holmes in Goodman on Saturday, March 26.
With the two wins, Northeast leapfrogged Mississippi Delta for fourth place in the division standings.
Northeast sits just three games out of the division lead with 15 league games left toplay and 1.5 games out of the division runner-up position that is currentlyheld by Itawamba Community College with a 6-2 league mark.
In both games, the Lady Tigers used some late-inning heroics in claiming the victories.
In the opener, Northeast rebounded from a 3-1 deficit with five runs over its final two at bats and in the nightcap, the Lady Tigers used a five-run fifth in staking claim to a 5-4 victory.
Kelle West (Hamilton), who has come on strong during the middle portion of the season,stayed perfect on the year picking up both wins.
West (6-0) limited the Lady Bulldogs to just five hits in the opener as the Lady Tigers banged out eight including two apiece from Haley Knepp (Kossuth) and Katie Beth Dahlem(Hamilton) while Jazmin Smith (Anchorage, Alaska) collected a double in the win for Northeast.
In the nightcap, Nicki Whitten (Booneville) and Paige Smith (Houston) keyed an 11-hit performance for the Lady Tigers with a pair of hits while Raleigh Downs (Booneville) knocked around a triple in the contest.
Northeast looks to continue its push toward the MACJC playoffs as the Lady Tigers begin a three-date homestand on Wednesday, March 30 by hosting Coahoma Community College at 1 p.m. Northeast continues its homestand with a one-game make-upwith East Mississippi Community College on Thursday, March 31 before welcoming Mississippi Delta Community College to Booneville on Saturday, April 2.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2