Former Urchin signs professional deal
During his only season with the Tigers, former Northeast Mississippi Community College pitcher/designated hitter Chase Porch made an impact on the Tiger record book.
Now, Porch of East Union is carrying on that success after signing with the Amarillo (Texas) Sox of theAmerican Association.
Amarillo opens its 2011 season against the Wichita Wingnuts on May 12-15 at Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium in Amarillo, Texas.
During his time with the Tigers, Porch was named Northeast’s only baseball All-American when the East Union High School graduate was honored on the All-American third team as a designated hitter in 2008.
Porch also helped lead the Tigers to the Region XXIII Tournament in Poplarville during the 2007-08 season.
Porch, who was a first team All-Region XXIII selection, led the Tigers with a .431 batting average during his sophomore season at Northeast.
Porch accumulated 72 hits in 167 at bats including 10 doubles, five triples, 10 home runs and 48 runs batted in (RBI) during his time with the Tigers.
After leading the Tigers to the Region XXIII Tournament, Porch signed with the University of North Alabama where he continued to make a splash on the collegiate baseball scene.
Porch started 45 of 46 games he appeared in for the Lions during the 2009 season and split his starts between a designated hitter role and first baseman. Porch registered 23 starts as a designated hitter for the Lions and 22 starts at first base for UNA.
During his junior season at UNA, Porch hit .327 with 53 hits in 162 at bats while scoring 46 runs and driving in an additional 43. Porch also became an asset for the Lions in the field registering a .980 fielding percentage with just four errors in 198 chances for the Lions.
Following his career at UNA, Porch signed with the Pensacola Pelicans of the American Association where he made an immediate impact on the Pelican line-up and was named the 2010 American Association Rookie of the Year after leading the Pelicans to the American Association playoffs.
During his first year in the American Association, Porch hit .286 with 40 RBI piecing together a .286 batting average and 40 RBI and successfully made the move back to the outfield from first base. Porch was consistent with the Pelicans – piecing together 14-game and eight-game hitting streaks during the summer and enjoyed a stellar day against the El Paso Diablos on June 16 where the former Northeast Tigers went 4-for-5 with three runs scored and two RBI.
Porch starred at East Union High School during his prep career becoming a seven-year starter (seventh-twelfth grades) for Chris Basil’s Urchins and helped the Urchins reach the Mississippi High School Activities Association’s (MHSAA) Class 1A finals his junior year and the Class 2A North Half finals his senior year.
Following his varsity career, Porch named the Northeast Mississippi Coaches Association for Better Baseball (NEMCABB) Classes 1A/2A Player of the Year in 2006 and was drafted by the Atlanta Braves in the 32nd round of the amateur draft.
Porch appeared on the mound for Meridian Community College during his freshman collegiate year posting a 5.20 earn run average along with 31 strike outs in 32.1 innings for the Eagles during the 2007 season before transferring to Northeast.
Porch became the second Tiger in less than a year to sign a professional deal as Breland Brown (2003-05) of Hahnville, La., joined the New York Yankees franchise in the fall of 2010.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...