Advising the Fed
The appointment of Vance Witt to an advisory group of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis is another milestone for our community.
Witt, chairman and chief executive officer of BNA Bank, will serve a three-year term on the St. Louis Fed’s Community Depository Institutions Advisory Council.
He was the only Mississippian named to the Fed’s Eighth District Council, which serves Arkansas, and parts of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee and Mississippi.
The 12-member council will advise James Bullard, St. Louis Fed president, on local credit, banking and economic conditions.
“Community financial institutions are vital in creating and sustaining economic growth in our nation’s communities,” Bullard said. “As a key source of credit for small businesses, these institutions provide an important perspective on the relative health of the U.S. economy.”
The St. Louis Federal Reserve is one of 12 regional banks, that along with the Board of Governors in Washington, D.C., comprise the Federal Reserve System. It is the nation’s central bank and regulates state-chartered member banks and holding companies.
In this era of big banking conglomerates, we think the Fed’s decision to create an advisory council representing community banks is a good one. Often the interests of large banks and community banks diverge.
Witt not only is very knowledgeable about banking, but also is involved in community service as president of the Union County Heritage Museum, a trustee of Northeast Community college, and a trustee of the Barret School of Banking in Memphis.
The St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank has made a good choice.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...