Saying goodbye to 2010
Hard to believe the new year is upon us, and it is this time that we take to look back at all of the biggest headlines and moments from 2010.
Earlier this week, I printed a ‘Year in Pictures,’ showcasing some highlights from throughout Union County. Now I’ll entertain you in written form with some of my favorite moments from this year.
New Albany football’s historic run- Now y’all know that I have to start here. With football being one of my favorite sports, this season was exciting for everyone involved. With each week bringing tougher opponents and bigger wins, there were very few, if any, dull moments for the Bulldogs this season.
2010 State basketball tournament- I mentioned in an earlier column that there’s no way you can’t be excited about watching three different schools that you cover vie for state titles in the same sport. Myrtle, Ingomar and New Albany gave that to me this year, with the Falcons earning a big title win for their legendary head coach. It doesn’t hurt that two more teams finished as state runners-up in their respective classes.
Chris Basil’s 200th win- There are certain games that are big for any coach whether it be their first one or, in the case of East Union’s head baseball coach, the 200th. Basil’s mark shows his commitment to the East Union program he has led for many years, and there are no signs of him slowing down any time soon.
New Albany girls undefeated run- Like with football, watching a team make a run at perfection can be both fun and nerve wrecking. I experienced both watching the Lady ‘Dawgs last season, and despite their loss in the state title game, they are still among the elite in the state, earning a national ranking. It will be fun to watch both them and Myrtle’s girls throughout the course of the next few months.
Cross Country domination- It’s special when one team wins a state title in a particular sport, but when you have three in one year, I think that makes Union County a dominator in the sport. East Union and West Union girls, along with Myrtle boys, carried on a tradition in 2010, one that has brought at least one state title back to the county each year since 2007.
Along with the cross country and basketball state titles, we also celebrated championships in track (Myrtle girls and New Albany’s Zach Hand), tennis (New Albany) and bowling (East Union), as well as an individual championship in cross country for Bryan Cook.
There was a lot to be excited about in 2010, and hopefully there will be more to celebrate in 2011!
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...