Penalty shots lift New Hope over Lady ‘Dawgs
The Lady Bulldogs played with a heightened intensity and held a 1-0 advantage until a late surge lifted New Hope in their win over New Albany on Saturday.
With 8:33 remaining in the match, the Lady Trojans connected on the game-tying score, sending the match into penalty kicks, where they connected on their first three and the Lady Bulldogs missed two of three, resulting in a loss.
“You hate to lose a game on penalty shots; it’s the most nerve wrecking aspect of our game,” NAHS head coach Les Huntington said.
“I think they played hard and dominated the game and to lose it that way is very disappointing. We played very well in the first half. In the second half, we let up just a little bit and allowed them to equalize. All in all, I thought they played very hard and held their own.”
New Albany has played tougher opponents so far this season, all working toward strengthening the team before division play opens against Pontotoc on Jan. 7. Included in their early season schedule last week was a 4-0 decision in favor of Oxford.
“That’s a 5A team, and our competition is tougher this year. It’s going to be hard, but it’s the only way I can think to get us ready for division play,” Huntington said. “
Based on their performance today, I think they’re starting to come around.”
New Albany will have the week off before traveling to Tupelo on Nov. 30 and Saltillo on Dec. 3. NA will host Corinth on Dec. 4.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer