Bulldogs set for road battle
New Albany will have the tough task of going on the road for their second round game this week, traveling to Kosciusko Friday night.
The Whippets (8-5) enter the game off their 33-10 win at Cleveland in the first round, and while their offensive stats are not as impressive, they run the double wing formation, running the ball and keeping their opposing offense sidelined.
“They’re very well coached on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball,” NAHS head coach Ron Price said. “They’ve got five or six guys that can run the ball, and their yards are all about the same. Their one back (John Kern) is a big guy, about 225 lbs, and he’s just powerful. I think they just want to run the clock; do what they do, run the ball for five or six yards a carry and keep our offense off the field.”
Taking advantage of their offensive possessions will be key for the Bulldogs this week, as Price noted Kosciusko will be one of the toughest defensive units his team will face this season.
“The possessions we have, we’ve got to come away with points. That’s what we’ve preached this week,” he said. “Each possession on offense, it’s going to be critical that we come away with points, because we expect them to eat up the clock and keep us off the field. The few possessions we’ll have, we need to come away with, hopefully, touchdowns, but at least field goals.”
Having played in a tough division with Noxubee County and Louisville, Price expects a tough battle to advance in the playoffs.
“They’ll be a big challenge for us,” he said. “It looks like as the season has gone on, they’ve gotten better around the end of the year, so it’s going to definitely be a challenge going on the road. If our guys come out and play, I think we’ll be okay.”
The Bulldogs and Whippets are set for a 7 p.m. kickoff Friday in Kosciusko. If you are unable to make the trip, you can listen to the live broadcast on WNAU 1470 AM.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...