Bulldogs set for road battle
New Albany will have the tough task of going on the road for their second round game this week, traveling to Kosciusko Friday night.
The Whippets (8-5) enter the game off their 33-10 win at Cleveland in the first round, and while their offensive stats are not as impressive, they run the double wing formation, running the ball and keeping their opposing offense sidelined.
“They’re very well coached on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball,” NAHS head coach Ron Price said. “They’ve got five or six guys that can run the ball, and their yards are all about the same. Their one back (John Kern) is a big guy, about 225 lbs, and he’s just powerful. I think they just want to run the clock; do what they do, run the ball for five or six yards a carry and keep our offense off the field.”
Taking advantage of their offensive possessions will be key for the Bulldogs this week, as Price noted Kosciusko will be one of the toughest defensive units his team will face this season.
“The possessions we have, we’ve got to come away with points. That’s what we’ve preached this week,” he said. “Each possession on offense, it’s going to be critical that we come away with points, because we expect them to eat up the clock and keep us off the field. The few possessions we’ll have, we need to come away with, hopefully, touchdowns, but at least field goals.”
Having played in a tough division with Noxubee County and Louisville, Price expects a tough battle to advance in the playoffs.
“They’ll be a big challenge for us,” he said. “It looks like as the season has gone on, they’ve gotten better around the end of the year, so it’s going to definitely be a challenge going on the road. If our guys come out and play, I think we’ll be okay.”
The Bulldogs and Whippets are set for a 7 p.m. kickoff Friday in Kosciusko. If you are unable to make the trip, you can listen to the live broadcast on WNAU 1470 AM.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2