Bulldogs start two game road slate at North Pontotoc
New Albany makes a short trip to Ecru this week with the hopes of remaining undefeated and earning another division win.
On tap this week is North Pontotoc, a team that has performed better than their current 4-3 record. Losing two straight games in the fourth quarter, the Vikings’ high-scoring offense, led by quarterback Brandon Bailey, will present another challenge for the New Albany defense.
“Their kids are going to be motivated, and they have a good team who have scored a lot of points on two very good teams (Shannon and Itawamba), so our defense is going to have a challenge,” NAHS head coach Ron Price said.
Bailey has thrown for over 1,000 yards so far this season, while passing for 13 touchdowns and running for five, and is the team’s second leading rusher with 257 yards. Bailey also has four receivers with over 100 yards, led by Caleb Mills, a junior that’s contributing on both sides of the ball.
Defensively, the Vikings have eight interceptions and have recovered 22 fumbles.
“You try all week to get them as prepared for the game as you can, and as coaches, show them plays that North has been successful on,” Price said of the Bulldogs’ defensive preparation. “If you’re going to win a division championship, you have to take every game seriously, stay focused and make the plays, so hopefully our kids will be up for that Friday night.”
The Bulldogs hope to start the game strong much like they did last season, as they went ahead 21-0 early enroute to the 42-20 win at home.
Kickoff for the divisional match-up is set for 7 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer